Brian~Kelly~Kristina~Cody~Troy~Morgan~Brooke~Ty

~~~~

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Look at them baby blues!

Ty has had many milestones in the past few weeks but the most significant was his eye surgery. It's done, no more goopy eyes!

Ty went in for tear duct probing on Friday, February 26th. I was a mess leading up to the surgery. The thought of general anesthesia had me very nervous and at my first appointment they told me he could have nothing to eat including breast milk for 8 hours prior to surgery. I was freaking out, how in the world was I going to do this?
He still wakes up at night for breast milk...are you kidding me? Well, by the time I talked to the nurse, the pre-op nurse, the surgeon and finally the pediatric anesthesia coordinator, it went from 8 to 4 to 6 and then finally back to 4 hours prior to surgery that he could have breast milk. Needless to say, I cheated by one hour and woke him up at 5 a.m. for his final feeding. I knew he was not going to go immediately in for surgery and sure enough it was an hour and half past his check in time that they finally carried him in.

Like I said, the morning of the 26th, I woke him up at 5 a.m. and fed him one last time. We got up and out the door by 6:30 a.m. to make the trip to Rancho Cordova. We woke him up and changed his diaper right before we left and he stayed awake the entire trip, in fact, he never fell asleep until his surgery time.

Once there they brought him back pretty quickly to check him in. They put his little baby hospital gown on and I thought I was going to die it was so cute! He loved the hospital crib and the little teddy bear they gave him and he had a great time flirting with all of the nurses.

About 9 a.m. he started getting fussy for the first time. I knew he was hungry and it was his nap time. Shortly after he began to fuss the nurse brought a sedative for him to take to make him calm before they took him away. They told me that in about 10 or 15 minutes he may go limp in my arms. No joke, 3 or 4 minutes later I felt his shoulders slump! I asked if it was possible for it to work that fast and she said that it could since his stomach was empty. It was so funny, he started giggling and he could only hold his eyes half open. The nurses kept teasing that he was a happy drunk. At one point he turned to the nurse, smiled real big and gave her a big click with his tongue...I almost died it was so funny (anyone who knows him knows about his clicking.) The nurse thought it was hysterical.

Well, at about 9:30 a.m. the Anesthesiologist came out, had Ty give us a big kiss, then scooped him up and carried him into the O.R. It was very sweet. The surgeon came out after about 30 or 40 minutes and said he did great. He had a slight abnormality in his anatomy in that area so he had a tough time getting the probe through so he had to fix that and everything went well after that.

They warned us that most babies wake up from anesthesia very confused and cranky but Ty woke up just fine. The nurse said she had no idea he was awake, she looked over at him and he was wide awake just staring at her. Once he looked around and didn't see Brian or I he started to cry so they came and got us and he calmed right down. I nursed him immediately and when he was done he sat up and just kept looking around checking things out. He was baffled by his I.V. and kept trying to pull on it. He did so well that they pulled out his I.V. right then, put a band-aid on it and told us we could go home.

His eye was swollen immediately after the surgery but went down very quickly and he has been gunk free for almost two weeks!! Yea, I'm so happy, I haven't had to scrub his eye for a week now and now he can really show off those amazing baby blues! I am really grateful that my prayers were answered and that he did so AMAZINGLY well. I'm glad I finally made the decision to have it done because it sounds like it would not have cleared on it's own. It's over now and things could not have gone any smoother.





This was Ty flirting with the nurse!



Ty, drugged out of his mind!

3 comments:

Music4 said...

I'm so glad everything went well. He is so dang cute! I can't believe how much he has grown! Molly had goopy eyes when she was a baby and they thought they might have to probe her tear ducts too. But when she was 7 months old we went to Disney World in Florida. It was so hot and humid, by the time we came home her eyes cleared up! 7 months of goopy eyes, and Florida did the trick for us! Ha! But I am glad that everything went so smoothly for Ty!

Shelley said...

I had no idea he was still goopy!Glad it was taken care of and completely understand your not wanting to do it! If you'd known he'd look THAT cute in a hospital gown you probably would have jumped at it sooner, huh? :)

CariZob said...

Did you know that Emily had to have that surgery done at 13 months? And all my boys had the blocked tear duct including Jake, but all of theirs cleared by 6 months. Weird huh! I am glad Ty did well and we can't wait to meet him. He's such a cutie!